The Asthma Room is operating in the In-patient Department “Gaiļezers”.
A specially trained medical nurse Biruta Vecroze and certified experienced pneumonologists Karīna Medne, Inga Vikmane and Dace Žentiņa are working in the Bronchial Asthma and COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) Room.
One of the most important tasks of the Bronchial Asthma and COPD Room is education and training of asthma and COPD patents:
- information about the origin and progress of asthma and COPD;
- possibilities to live with the disease;
- measures for controlling environment factors and allergens;
- advices and possibilities of medicated assistance for quitting smoking;
- information on medicinal products used in treatment of asthma and COPD;
- training on the use of inhalers;
- training on the use of peak expiratory flow meters to control the progress of the disease.
Spirometry and bronchial dilatation test are carried out in the Bronchial Asthma and COPD Room.
Doctors working in the room will do the following for asthma and COPD patients:
- help in selecting the most suitable medicinal products for each patient individually;
- compile a treatment plan;
- assess the effectiveness of treatment by carrying out dynamic follow-up of the patient;
- if required, carry out necessary treatment adjustments;
- recommend ways how to avoid disease exacerbations;
- provide advices and recommend treatment in case of disease exacerbations;
- carry out necessary additional diagnostics and differential diagnostics in case of lung diseases, by sending patients to additional examinations and treatment both as out-patients and in-patients in the most complicated and serious cases.
Patients with unstable progress of asthma or COPD, frequent disease exacerbations, as well as patients with bronchial asthma or COPD diagnosed for the first time are particularly welcome.
In order to visit the Bronchial Asthma and COPD Room, a doctor’s referral is required. Training with the medical nurse is free of charge. If pneumonologist’s consultation and follow-up is required, state-determined patient’s payment – 3 lats – is to be paid.
In order to register for an out-patient consultation by the specialist:
- call on (+371) 67000610