Algologist (Pain Doctor)
Pain therapy or pain medicine is a branch of medicine concerned with the research of pain occurrence, existence and successful treatment mechanisms. Consultations by an algologist (pain doctor Dr. Anita Bernharde) are available in the In-patient Department “Gaiļezers” on Mondays and Fridays.
A pain therapist (algologist) is a doctor who knows the mechanisms of pain occurrence, existence and chronification, as well as methods of pain treatment.
The following patients are referred to the algologist for consultation:
- With pain in joints, muscles, connective tissues and soft tissues;
- With postoperative and posttraumatic pain;
- With pain in nerve roots of the spine – radiculopathy;
- With chronic headaches;
- With chronic pelvic and urogenital pain;
- With neuropathic pain (e.g. in case of diabetes);
- With neuralgias, also with pain in the face in case of trigeminal nerve inflammation;
- With back-aches;
- With oncological pain.
If the reason of the existing pain is unclear or the pain hinders full-fledged life, during the consultation the algologist will determine the reasons of pain and find the best method of pain treatment together with the patient.
The treatment of chronic pain requires patience, cooperation with the doctor and the wish to get free from them. When going to the pain therapist, do not forget to take the results of previous examinations, remember the treatment methods applied earlier and medicinal products used.
In order to register for an out-patient consultation by the specialist:
call on (+371) 67000610